Monday, April 5, 2010

Day one...

Weather broke in grand style this year and it was 80 degrees on April 3rd. After emptying the boat of all the things I could carry off (boats hold an unbelievable amount of stuff) I got to work. By this time I had pared the list down to a few key jobs; address the old diesel in the tank and change the lines and filters, put in a fresh water system with a new toilet and associated plumbing, change the cracked rigging and paint the ceiling inside the cabin.

I started the day by doing none of these. There were leaks in the cabin top around one of the outside grab rails and I figured that would be a good place to start. I pulled the grab rail off and started to drill out the holes to see if the core would be rotten between the skins. I got lucky; while the core was wet, it was not rotten and after drying out would be OK.

Encouraged by this, I removed all the cabin top hardware and drilled more holes in suspect areas. Again the findings were good. With the exception of a few spots, the core was in great shape and would not require rebuilding. Drilling and filling these holes took up the greater part of the first two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment