Friday, April 23, 2010

Stripping follow up...







The next day’s thicker application came with little success but created a lot of extra work. I came back and applied a coat to the cabin ceiling on the port side only and let it sit for about 12 hours. When I started to scrape off the remaining finish I noticed that it was coming with the fairing filler that was used to make the cabin ceiling presentable. Basically the stripper had softened this up enough so that a putty knife would dig right in. However there were parts where the paint refused to budge making the whole job a big mess. I cleaned up as much as possible and then washed down the surfaces with water to remove the residue left from the stripper.
At this point I figured that I would try to scrape the port side and see if the outcome was any better. The answer: definitely. After about an hour of difficult scraping I had removed the loose paint and this included the head ceiling as well. I did not take off as much material and although I left some of the old finish behind, the result was a much smoother base on which to start the repairs. You can easily see the difference in the photos.
From here I applied a coat of Interlux Pre-Coat. And called it quits for the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Alright! Another Redwing blog! I love it! Do you know what hull # you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I have no idea. It isn't listed on the paperwork either. I do know that it is a 1968 boat. Glad to see another boat out there. I hope to be in the water in May of this year.

    ReplyDelete